Studying away from Home ✈️ - CH Newsletter #80
As part of joining our private student residence, our members receive weekly updates about the community, upcoming events, developments in the student residence and any other relevant news. We've decided to post these updates on our website in order to let our visitors looking for student housing get an inside view of the Chelsea House student life!
Welcome back to the CH Show!!! 📺 - This is the weekly update to keep you abreast of what’s good in Montreal, the city we love ❤️, as well as updates from your beloved student residence community 🏡 (and another benefit is this keeps parents back home jealous at all times & updated enough not to blow up your phones lol❤️🙏 ).
Hi CFAM!! Studying away from home is difficult.✈️But always remembe Leaving for higher education is transformative. Choosing to study away means independence and growth. 🌱 Adapting to a new lifestyle fosters self-reliance. 💪 Challenges build life skills. 🌟 Discovering autonomy amid difficulties brings excitement. 👫 Connections with peers and the community enrich the experience. 🌍 Living away broadens horizons, nurtures perspectives, and cultivates resilience.
🗺️ Remember, others offer guidance. 🤔 Reflect on progress in your chosen place. 🌟 Venturing away empowers you to thrive globally. 🌟📚🎓
Here are five tips for new students in Montreal to help you make the most of your experience:
1. Explore the City's Neighborhoods 🏙️🗺️: Montreal is a diverse and vibrant city with various neighborhoods, each offering a unique atmosphere. Take the time to explore areas like Old Montreal, Plateau-Mont-Royal, Mile End, and the Latin Quarter. This will help you get a sense of the city's culture, art scene, and local cuisine.
2. Learn Some French 🇨🇦🗣️: While many people in Montreal are bilingual, knowing some basic French can greatly enhance your experience. It's a respectful gesture towards the local culture and will also help you navigate day-to-day interactions more easily.
3. Use Public Transportation 🚌🚇: Montreal has an excellent public transportation system, including buses and the metro (subway). Consider getting a transit pass, like the Opus card, to save on transportation costs. This will give you access to all of the city's major attractions and make your daily commute to school more convenient.
4. Experience Festivals and Events 🎉🎭: Montreal is known for its numerous festivals and events throughout the year, such as the Montreal Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs Comedy Festival, and Igloofest. These events offer a chance to immerse yourself in the local culture, enjoy live performances, and connect with fellow students and residents.
5. Embrace Winter Activities ❄️⛸️🎿: Montreal experiences cold winters, but that doesn't mean you need to stay indoors. Embrace winter by trying activities like ice skating at the Old Port, visiting winter markets, and participating in winter sports like skiing and snowboarding at nearby resorts.
Bonus Tip: 6. Connect with the Student Community 🎓👥: Montreal has a large student population due to its numerous universities. Join student clubs, attend campus events, and make an effort to connect with fellow students. This will not only help you make friends but also provide you with a support network during your time in the city.
Remember that your time in Montreal is an opportunity to explore a new culture, meet new people, and create lasting memories. Enjoy the experience and make the most of your time as a student in this dynamic city! 🌟🇨🇦🎈
THE INSIDER'S REPORT: MONTREAL NEWS YOU NEED TO KNOW
A Mega Thrifting Pop-Up Sale Is Coming To Downtown Montreal This Month
🛍️🌿 "The Street Market," Ontario's popular traveling thrift event, arrives in Montreal on Aug 12-13 at Alexis Nihon. Explore pre-loved fashion, enjoy curated second-hand treasures from noon-5pm, and embrace sustainable style with free entry for all. From vintage to streetwear, find unique pieces and eco-friendly staples. This event reflects a shift towards cherishing and reusing fashion, promoting eco-conscious choices. 🌍👚
🎀🏨 Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal adds a splash of Barbie pink to its world! Partnering with Mattel, they unveil the Barbie Dream Suite - a nostalgic and chic 1,200 sq ft wonderland with grand bedrooms, living, dining, and more in quintessential Barbie style. Starting at $1,499 per night, it's a playground for grown-up kids. Upgrade to Barbie VIP for luxury transport, spa pampering, and cocktails. Indulge in Barbie Dream Tea 🍵, adventurous PJ soirees 🎉, and fabulous Barbie parties. Even beyond the suite, experience Barbie-themed tea ☕ and desserts 🍰. Unleash your inner child and make childhood dreams real at Fairmont! 🌟👠🎉
CHELSEA HOUSE EVENT HIGHLIGHTS 2022 - 2023 💯🎉💯
Hello CFAM! In this section we will be showcasing the events that the Chelsea House family had for the last semester! 💯Events are held at Chelsea weekly and we want to make sure that everyone has the chance to have the full Montreal Student Experience 🤗Thank you for a great year CFAM and here's to more events this Semester! 🥂
- Lacrosse game of McGill vs. Trent U.
Everyone who attended had a blast cheering on our fellow Chelsea members Logan and Ryan! 💯
As you may recall the start of the admissions season is upon us, which means that we’re now interviewing all the prospective CH members to join our student house for the upcoming year.
A lot of really interesting members joining like:
- Startup Sales rep @ Vitres Royal . Opening for sales rep at Vires Royal. Role includes speaking to potential customers, developing a strong understanding for sales and learning sales psychology.. For further details please click HERE.
- Team member @ Pizza hut. Customer service role opening. Located at 1431A Rue Bishop, Montreal, Quebec. You will be doing customer service duties (Taking orders and answering questions), Kitchen duties (preparing Pizzas) and maintaining a safe and clean environment for the customers. For further details please click HERE.
- Cashier @ Continental Investments Inc. Opening for Cashier position. Tasks would be customer service and engaging with customers, maintaining a neat checkout area, scanning products and accounting cash for the day. Only qualification is knowledge on how to use Microsoft Office. For further details please click HERE.
We have a zero-tolerance smoking policy (in line with the provincial law in Quebec which prohibits smoking inside buildings). This means you cannot smoke inside your apartment or in any common areas inside the building. If you are found to have violated our smoking policy (ashes, smell, butts, damages to windows are all evidence of smoking having occurred) you will be issued a fine of 300$. If it is not clear who in the apartment is the smoker, the fine will be divided amongst the roommates (make sure your roommate doesn’t smoke in the apartment!!). Finally, a 2nd violation fine increases to 500$. Finally, a member who violates the no-smoking rule 3 times may be expelled from Chelsea House.
Applicable fine for 1st violation: $300
Applicable fine for 2nd violation: $500
Applicable fine for 3rd violation: $700 and potential expulsion from CH
We love seeing our Members going on their adventures. ✈️ Send us your vacation pics so we can also share it with the rest of the CH Community! In return, you'll get some 💰 for your next cup of iced coffee (or 🍹) from us! 😁 We promise we'll try our best not to get jealous of the sight you're enjoying 🖐🏻 (FOMO is real lol)
Send those pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org & let us know where the photos are taken. 📍
Are you enjoying your Chelsea House Experience so far?
It would mean the world to us if you could take a few minutes to share with us your thoughts (check out the link below).